Monday, January 13, 2014

Fell off the Wagon

Okay, I admit it. I fell off of my regular diet and jumped onto the gluttonous holiday wagon. Not only that, I wasn't working out because I hurt my arm doing the army crawl. Yes, the army crawl. Who hurts themselves doing one of the most simple moves ever? Of course, it would have to be me. So, I've paid my dues and didn't work out for three months. I have taken it easy and gained 10 lb. Wonderful!

However, I went rock climbing a week ago to test out my arm. It seems that it has completely healed. So, I started working out again yesterday. I am easing myself back into it. I really don't want another injury. If I get hurt, it's usually because of a simple move or I probably ran into something. That's what happens when you are accident-prone.

If you have taken time off from working out and eating well because of the holidays, then take start slow. I haven't worked out in three months. My body needs to become acclimated again. I am definitely a little sore today. I already finished my workout for the day, so I'm looking forward to being sore tomorrow. There's something about having sore muscles after not being able to work out for a period of time that makes me very happy. Yeah, I probably am a sick, sick person. Just kidding. ;-)

Oh! You don't like sore muscles? The key to getting rid of sore muscles is lots of water, warm up before and cool down after working out. Now, I could wait for the soreness to fade by resting, but I like the active approach. Did you know that light aerobic exercise helps to diminish sore muscles? For example, tomorrow is cardio day. I'm very excited about it.

I've also already adjusted my diet to be more like the paleo diet. However, I don't follow any particular diet. I stick with what works for me, along with experimenting here and there. For example, I don't think I could ever go completely vegan, but I love fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. I also love chicken, fish, eggs, dairy products, etc. My diet is mainly poultry and vegetables because I seem to crave that more than anything else. It's important to eat healthy foods as you begin to work out again. Also - hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is essential for the body. I can't stress that enough.

I'm really excited to be working out again. I'm going to try to take it slow. I have a habit of jumping in like a beast and taking no prisoners as I get back into shape. This time though, I'm behaving myself. Of course, I say that every time. This time will be different though.

Until next time!

~ Crystal ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning to Live in the Present

What I've learned in life is that when we feel that we have nothing to live for--living doesn't really matter.  For someone like ...