Monday, February 17, 2014

Shh.. Do You Hear That?

It's my brain racing and spinning..

My brain doesn't know when to be quiet. It's constantly processing thoughts, even when I am ready to shut down for the night. I may be ready to pass out, but I hear a whisper that tells me it's not time. My dreams are vivid and in color. Often, I dream of people I know. Other times, I don't even recognize myself.

Every morning, I wake up, groggy and wishing for another hour of sleep. Instead, my mind races on with everything that needs to be done for that day. I try to make a list every day. I have a tendency of forgetting or taking too much time doing something if I don't have a list in front of me. I'm ADHD, so time doesn't pass the same in my head as it does for others. I'm sure you won't understand unless you are like me. I can get lost in a task (which usually involves several smaller tasks, but it is still one either way) and spend hours on it. < Prime example, this blog post. I went from working on reviews in Yelp, to the discussion board, to music videos, more thoughts, horoscopes, Facebook and back here again. >

For once though, when I am trying to have a moment of quiet time, I wish my brain would silence itself. Usually when I try to focus on sleeping or quieting my thoughts, I imagine a gray room with a single window and a chair. The sun is setting in the window. I also like to imagine the wind whipping through a meadow or a forest. Waves crashing onto the beach is a very relaxing thought as well.

Those methods do not always work though. Sometimes, I find myself drifting into stories I create as I go along. Stories that, although most definitely fiction, seem so real, I could swear it actually happened. Having a vivid imagination seems to do that to you. I'm not complaining. It comes in handy when you need to tell a story to your children, who eagerly ask for more.

I... just... wish.... for silence sometimes. I don't think it's too much to wish for. What do you do to help calm your mind down so you can just sit or fall asleep peacefully? Leave a comment below.

Thanks for reading!

~ Crystal ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning to Live in the Present

What I've learned in life is that when we feel that we have nothing to live for--living doesn't really matter.  For someone like ...