Thursday, April 24, 2014

Bee Pollen for Allergies

Growing up, I was never allergic to anything. We had cats, dogs, birds, etc. and I never had any issues with any of them. My biological mother and ex-stepfather both smoke - excessively - in the house. The house was filled with smoke when they were home, thanks to their habitual chain-smoking.

Therefore, imagine my surprise when I moved to North Carolina and discovered that I was allergic to the pollen falling from the trees. It was everywhere. The cars, ground, and the balconies were all covered in yellow pollen. I was miserable. Since that time, I experience sneezing, stuffiness, runny nose, itchy eyes, etc. during season. It's awful. I've tried every over-the-counter medicine possible. Benadryl works, but it knocks me out cold. I can't function if I am passed out!

I started to research different methods of coping with allergies. You can get a prescription, but I don't really like going to the doctor. You can get the allergy shot, but I abhor needles. There are many claims that bee pollen alleviates allergy symptoms by building up your body's defense system. With daily doses, starting with a few granules and building up to one to two teaspoons a day, your body becomes desensitized avoiding future reactions.

At this point, I'm up for anything. So, I started taking a few granules a day almost a week ago. I've worked up to three-quarters of a teaspoon. Tomorrow I will start taking a teaspoon. I will increase my dosage to two teaspoons in a week or so, depending upon how my body reacts to this serving size. I follow it with orange juice. It tastes really gross. The granules are orange, golden, brownish, green, etc. I picked it up from a local farmer's market. It comes from a local farm, which is what you want to take. Keep it in a dark, cool place - like your refrigerator.

*****Please note*****
I am absolutely NOT allergic to bees at all. I have been stung by many throughout my life and have NEVER had a reaction. I mean, besides it hurting and swelling up like any sting does. I have been stung by many wasps also. My reaction to all of the stings were the same every time. If you are allergic to bees, there is a chance you will have a severe reaction to taking pollen. Consult a doctor before you even attempt something like this.

Here are a few articles I checked out while doing research:

Green Eyes On: Bee Pollen Cures Allergies

What's the buzz on bee pollen?

10 Amazing Health Benefits of Bee Pollen

I am going to reiterate the importance of doing your research and consulting your doctor before taking this.

Look for ongoing updates in the coming weeks. Hopefully this works.

Questions/Comments? Leave them below.

Thanks for reading!

~ Crystal ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning to Live in the Present

What I've learned in life is that when we feel that we have nothing to live for--living doesn't really matter.  For someone like ...