So, I'm Writing a Book

I started this book around December 2012. I worked on it for a couple of months. Then, I set it down for about a year before I actually picked it up and started working on it again. I revised what I have written so far and realized that my book is for the bilingual person. I mean, I knew that was objective when I started writing it, but it just kind of hit me that not everyone will be able to comprehend it. The language barrier will be lost on many. So, I put it down again two weeks ago to ponder over this "dilemma."

I considered writing two versions. One of them would be in English and the other in Spanish. Of course, that's a lot of extra work for this book. The setting of the story is in a predominantly Spanish-speaking area. The backstory would have to be completely different. By the time I finish making the changes, I should just write two different books.

Suddenly, it dawned on me that I don't really care if everyone understands it. I believe there are more than enough bilingual individuals who will grasp it. I also think those who are not bilingual may be interested to the point, they will look up the translation for the words. I mean, even as a young child, I had an interest in other languages.

My point is simply this: Write YOUR book for YOU. Yes, you should keep your target audience in mind. SN: I didn't actually do that with my first book. It's specifically tailored for a friend of mine. There's a chance that nobody will actually enjoy my book. There's always that chance with anything you write. Have fun with it and put it down if you feel you need a break. You should enjoy what you're doing. Right? Thanks for reading!

Until next time!

~ Crystal ~

Comments

Post a Comment