When Pets Attack

So, I'm browsing my Facebook, trying to see if I can find anything interesting. I follow a lot of news outlets, so when something pops, it usually shows in my news feed. 

The following caught my eye: Pet cat attacks Roseville family, 3 taken to hospital  

It reminded me of this incident:


Here's a refresher if you haven't seen either of these. The first incident involves cat, named Khat, who attacks the owner's family. The second one is a 911 call involving an overweight Himalayan cat that attacks and traps a family in their bedroom. Yes, they really are as ridiculous as they seem.

I grew up with all kinds of animals. My family owned cats, dogs, ferrets, snakes, turtles, birds, etc.. It was practically a farm! You know, I can't ever remember a time when I was afraid of any of our cats growing up. If we had a cat that was EVER violent, it would have been immediately put down. That sort of thing would not have been tolerated.


I'm sure there were times when we probably deserved being bitten or scratched. Actually, I can think of specific bathing incidents. If our cats could have gotten free from our grip, they might have given us a few good swats. Honestly, they really needed bathing. They were inside/outside cats. Fleas, ticks and dirt were the enemy. So, we occasionally gave them a flea bath. The dogs hated it also, but at least they stood still. Thankfully for us, upon finishing and rubbing them down with a towel, they promptly darted away from our reach and outside!!

Back to the subject at hand. I don't understand why people don't use common sense. If your animal has violent tendencies, then put it to sleep. Don't bring it around other individuals, especially small children. Everyone knows that small children tend to poke and pull at animals, even if they really mean no harm. Do everyone, including your family, a favor and be done with it. A friend, from years ago, owned a temperamental cat. Her cat was very possessive of her and jealous if anyone came near my friend. Well, my friend and her husband decided to have a baby. Once the baby came, the cat was hostile towards the baby. She gave the cat a chance, but in the end, she got rid of it. She loved that cat very much, but she loved her baby more.

I also recall a cheerleading coach of mine who owned a hostile cat that would attack anyone and everyone, except her. I couldn't fathom keeping a cat like that around. She kept it in her room when she would entertain company. What if it managed to get loose while guests were over and mauled someone? In a lawsuit happy country, that's a rather poor decision.


If those cats had been dogs, then the dogs would have been euthanized. Cats do not deserve to be treated any differently than dogs. For that matter, any type of animal should not be treated any differently. Neither should humans, but that's a different story for another day. 


Thanks for reading!

~ Crystal ~


Want to share your thoughts? Leave a comment below!

Comments