Straight Trees with Crooked Roots

I ordered Chinese last night from a restaurant in the area. Fortune cookies obviously come with the food and I opened one to find this: "Be careful! Straight trees often have crooked roots." I contemplated for some time. I think about things more than I probably should, but I came to the following thoughts.

First, let's get the meaning out of the way. People are not always what they seem. A perfect citizen might actually have been a criminal in the past. A wonderful husband might have three girlfriends on the side. A seemingly normal person may be on the verge of shooting their brains out. Poison dart frogs are beautiful, but they are deadly. Actually, let me clarify that. Only three species of dart frogs are dangerous to humans. Poison dart frogs are NOT poisonous in captivity - only in the wild. They're beautiful though and I don't really care for frogs.

Anyway, you understand the point. I don't necessarily see it as a negative message. To me, it means that sometimes things are just not what they seem. People are hardly ever who we think they are. You can feel when a person is not who they seem to be - even though we tend to ignore the signs. You need to trust your instincts. Learning to read people is a great asset when trying to figure out the ulterior motives of others.

I can read people so well that it's scary at times. It is an excellent asset when trying to understand people and their actions. I'm always watching. Even when it's not suspected, I'm watching everything that's going on around me. I don't want you to know I'm watching, so I'm inconspicuous. It seems creepy, yes? Honestly, I like to observe interactions and everything around me. I don't just watch people. I adore watching animals and water, like the ocean or a river. How do you experience and understand the world around you if you don't pay attention?

Here's another thing to think about - nobody has a perfect past. Everyone has problems at one time or another. Sure, some people have a past they would prefer to keep covered, but perhaps they've worked really hard for their future. Let them have their future they worked so hard to achieve. Don't ruin it by bringing up their shady past. People pay for their mistakes all the time. These people would like to move forward, not be reminded of the past.

Who are you to deny a "straight tree with crooked roots" a happy life? I mean, especially if they worked so hard to become straight. Don't turn a blind eye, but don't discourage either. You don't necessarily have to trust them, but a little bit of trust can go a long way. Many trees require fire to reproduce and grow. People CAN change for the better, if you simply give them a chance to rise through the ashes. Make a difference and be the positive influence in someone's life.

Thanks for reading!

Many blessings,

~ Crystal ~

Comments