Life's not Fair

Some people will read this and only see negative, but I implore upon you that this isn't a negative post at all. I'm not racist. My family is interracial all the way. The proof is in the genealogical line. As far as religion goes, I'm not religious. I believe that some horrible people manipulate and twist religion to accommodate their specific agendas. It ruins it for others that just want to live in peace. It's unfortunate.

As the years go by, awful crimes, including war crimes, are continuously committed. Most recently, a progressive-claiming society has been on the verge of completely breaking down and strengthening the racial divide, especially between whites and blacks - pretty much ignoring any other ethnicity, which is devastating and ridiculous. If a crime is committed by a white person against a black person, then it receives national news. However, if the crime is reversed or is black on black, black on brown, brown on brown, etc. Then it doesn't warrant very little attention. I wrote a blog post that remains unpublished because I was livid and hurt when I wrote it. It will be deleted once I finish this one. Anger just begets more anger. I'm going to write this one with a different slant because I'm not angry now. I'm saddened by the tragic events that have occurred over the past months.

The crimes committed against the Palestinian people over the years, especially just recently were completely uncalled for and unacceptable. I don't really sympathize with Israel, but it doesn't make me an anti-Semite. In fact, I'm not religious at all, which I've pointed out in the past. I also do not believe the world is fair, but we should be free to try our hand at success and be treated as human beings. It is inhumane to try to control an entire nation because you feel they might soil your image(You really think you're better?? Check again!), because you're paranoid or you believe you have the "right" to control them. In addition, one person is no better than another.

Alas, I care not for your status, religious preference, ethnicity, or anything else. What concerns me? Well, are you a good person? Instead of meeting violence with violence, did notions of letting them live freely and treating them as human beings ever occur to you? Why should they suffer and live like animals because you feel more important or covet more land/power? Why should they suffer because you feel better than them and won't ALLOW them to rebuild? I hope the UK votes for Palestine to become recognized as a state on October 13th. You can read a little more about this, from the perspective of an Israeli here: Palestinian statehood: True friends of Israel will vote yes for the state of Palestine. Simply put, they deserve freedom from the oppression of Israel and a chance at a regular life.

They(Israel and Palestine) have to also recognize each other's existence and work together. This is a two-way street. Turn a new leaf and set the hatred aside for the future. It won't be easy, but everyone deserves the freedom to at least attempt to succeed and be happy. Nothing in life is ever easy. I realize that not everyone agrees with my opinion, so this is all I will say on this matter. I have Jewish and Arabic friends, some even from Israel, Palestine, and surrounding countries. I cherish their friendships and them for who they are as people. They're good people. They don't let their ethnicity or religious preferences define them. We need more people like that in the world.

In my other post, I also touched a little on the history of slavery, but I won't go into the major details in this post. Basically, I listed when slavery started, pointed out that it started in Babylon, with a link to the Code of Hammurabi, which you can still click on and read about the first official record of slavery, along with a timeline listed on HistoryWorld.net. Again, you can click on it and it gives you the world history on slavery. You can also double check the facts by searching online. It's not right that people choose to blame others for problems that had nothing to do with them. You can't blame slavery, from a time when you and your parents were not even alive, for your current problems. Slavery was abolished before the 1900s. So, there's a chance that not even your grandparents were alive either. Blaming someone else for your problems does not solve the current issues at hand.

Oh, and let me point something out: If you believe that blacks are the ONLY ones who are racially profiled, you are very wrong. Yeah, it happens more frequently. Yes, it's wrong, but it's wrong to do that to anyone, not just blacks. Lashing out, in anger or destroying someone else's property, makes you (specifically *anyone* not just blacks) the bad guy. It makes people look at you and say, "See, this is what 'they' do," and you KNOW that I'm right. Let me clarify, I would never say that. I think that sometimes people aren't certain how to handle their emotional reactions to situations and negative reactions come out more often than other ones. It disappoints me when people resort to that type of behavior. It's disappointing because you can be better than that, be better than the people who are pointing their fingers and shaking their heads. You have a choice.

Anyway, my point is that you can't change the past, but you can change your future. You can choose to change your future for the better. Yes, the system sucks when it comes to the way it is set up, but it is possible for you to have better, to be better, to do great things to leave behind for your children and future generations to come. Then, they'll say, "look at that person, see what they did? It's amazing what they accomplished." Wouldn't you rather be that person instead?

I'm sure, I've mentioned this before, but I grew up poor, dirt freaking poor. My house had holes in the roof and the walls. My clothes swallowed me or had rips in them. I had no control over that and I was treated like a pariah by my classmates. I was bullied for many years as a child, which was excruciatingly painful to experience. I've also written about bullying in the past. I never actually admitted this, but once in a while, I actually wanted to stab each person who tortured me. I wanted them to hurt because they hurt me. I didn't though. I could have done that, but I chose NOT to resort to doing something so heinous. Inside, I knew I was the better person. I relied on that to get me through my school days. Today, I have my degree, figuring out exactly what I want out of life, and I'm working hard to get there. You have to WORK for the things you want in life! Also, I avoid the horrid people from my past because of the way they treated me. I haven't anything to say to them, so why should I include them in my life? I have made a conscious decision to try my best to be good and kind to others. You should treat others well despite how they treat you. Of course, I'm human and I falter, but I try.

When are we, as a society, going to get to a point where we've had enough of the violence and anger? When will we, as a society, go against this trending direction and work for the betterment of our future? When are we going to start planting the seeds of kindness for the future of our children? Where are your morals and ethics? When will you start being accountable for your actions? When will you realize that you can't sit back and expect things to change? When are YOU going to come to the realization that we have to work together and treat others the way they should be treated - with respect. Do you really enjoy fighting and being hateful to others? How does that make you feel deep inside? Let me tell you, when I've hurt someone, it makes me feel pretty bad. Staying angry and resentful sucks the life out of you. I know! I've been there. Being optimistic and kind to others makes you feel good inside. When you feel good, you're more likely to spread it, resulting in a huge impact on others. We have to work together, but it starts with you. Go forth into the world and make a positive difference. That's what I'm going to do because it starts with me.

If you made it this far, then thanks for reading. I truly appreciate the time you took to read this post. It's something that has been bothering me for some time. I needed to get it out of my head. I'm certain that I didn't touch on everything I wanted to, but I'll have to come back to this post and figure it out later. Again, thanks for reading!

Many blessings,

~ Penelope ~

Comments