Thought of the Day: You Deserve to Live in Peace

Thought of the Day:
"Brute force, no matter how strongly applied, can never subdue the basic human desire for freedom." Dalai Lama

A photo posted by Crystal (@penelopewinthrop) on
As humans, we naturally crave freedom and peace. Those who find themselves in situations that are oppressing, tumultuous or exceedingly difficult often become accustomed and anything outside of that is uncomfortable. For others, the normalcy is simply a way of living. That is until they wake up and realize they deserve better.

Break free of toxic relationships

Even if someone wants to be free or at a better place in their life, they may have no idea where to start, leaving them feeling utterly lost and alone. Deep down, people desire to be treated fairly, with kindness, and to be loved. Nobody really wants to be lied to, cheated on or pushed around. Unfortunately, in the majority of instances, not only do people in bad situations feel at a loss on where to start, but they lack the confidence to implement any plan of action they might formulate.

When someone constantly breaks you down and makes you feel worthless, it sucks your strength and any semblance of hope you may have once had. Not only are you left disappointed that this person—who is supposed to love and cherish you—begins treating you poorly, doesn't support your dreams, and pushes you down, but you begin to believe that your dreams are worthless or that you're not worthy of love.

Let me point out that this does not have to be a partner—this could be a friend or family member. Part of the process of finding peace is to let go of these toxic people who make you feel worthless. Sure, maybe you don't know how to do that because it's your mother or a brother. However, when you do, you will feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders because they're no longer around to poison your mind.

If you're trying to break free from a relationship, then it's best to include a few trusted individuals to help you implement a specific course of action—and do not stray from your plan. Do not look back. You will never be able to change them. And, they will never love you the way you want them to. If you "miss" that person, and feel the urge to call or see them, find a healthy alternative. It takes time to break old habits, but it does get easier.

Accept life and live in the present

Part of the process of finding peace is accepting that we are going to get hurt and bad things will happen periodically. People are going to disappoint you. You're not going to be able to get all of the answers to everything. Things change and nothing ever stays the same. That's life. The best thing you can do is to be here and now. There is no point in fretting over something in the past or about something that hasn't even happened.

Wealth does not equal peace

Something else, you can't measure your happiness by all the things you own. There are many, many people who have all the money in the world, but they still aren't happy. They spend their time getting drunk and snorting cocaine or spending it on materialistic things because they've surrounded themselves by people doing the exact same thing. They think that by increasing their status people will see them as successful and will admire/like them better. Yes, we absolutely need to make money to survive, but money will never give you love, peace, and true happiness.

Bring peace into your life

Meditate, connect with nature by getting outdoors or do yoga as a means to relax and truly connect with your inner self. Don't overwork yourself, even though it's easy to do in this fast-paced life we live. Learn to say "no" more often. Let go of things that complicate or clutter your life. Slow down and breathe.

I wrote this because my Instagram post the other day started a ripple effect in my mind as I thought about this much more than what I posted on there and I decided to share more here. This is a topic I hold close to my heart because I grew up in an extremely dysfunctional family. My parents were divorced. I lived with my biological mother and ex-stepfather. Long story short, they fought all the time and it was a rough life growing up. I grew up a very sad and lost person. Then I found myself in a similar situation with my ex-husband who always made everything about him, but thankfully that only lasted a few years.

I always wanted to be better. I thought that if I became successful that it would make me happy because successful people are supposed to be happy. Right? Well, it took me a long time to realize that after all of my successes that part of the problem was that I could never find peace in my heart because I always felt broken in some way—in a way that even by being successful, I would never truly be happy.

Thankfully, I found my peace and that has paved the way for some amazing transformations and opportunities. I wish you all the best in finding yours. Remember there's always someone there to talk to or help you if you extend a hand and speak up.

Feel free to share this with your friends, family and anyone you think might benefit from it. Thank you for reading!!

Comments